Issues with DASC/WG P&P for DASC-SC to resolve

From: Jim Lewis <Jim@SynthWorks.com>
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 08:06:38 PDT

Peter and Members of DASC-SC,
I would like to make a motion to revise DASC/DASC-SC/WG
P&P to clearly define what DASC considers to be an
acceptable format for the following procedural issues:

   1) motion for call for discussion of an issue/proposal
   2) motion for call for vote on an issue/proposal

I have been working in IEEE/DASC standards groups since
1997/1998. I have to be honest, procedurally I don't know
if I could distinguish an acceptable format for these from
an unacceptable one. Each group seems to have its own
flavor of doing things and I am ok with this, however,
I also have Alex's position to deal with:

> YOU SHOULD NOT WAIT FOR ANYTHING, AND
> PROCEED WITH WHAT I RECOMMENDED.
> HIS MOTION (NOT YET WELL FROMALIZED,
> DISCUSSED, OR AMMENDED) PROPOSES ...

excerpted from email that was cross-posted to stds-dasc-sc:

Since it is not correctly formalized for Alex's working
group, Alex chooses to ignore it. This has happened in
the 1076.3 for my motion for a call for vote, it has also
happened for proposals for standards revisions.

My point is not whether Alex has a correct position or not.
My point is that all working groups have their own
format and it takes some effort on the part of the working
group participant to get an item in the correct procedural
format.

I don't have issue that a working group establishes their
own format for these things, however, I would like there
also to be a "DASC" approved format for these items that
the working group must also accept as a procedurally
correct format.

Frankly, I am tired of being belittled for not following
a procedural format for which I cannot find any
documentation.

Best Regards,
Jim Lewis

--